Development of Nuclear Security Culture Enhancement Solutions (NSCES) (J02007)
CRP Overall Objective
The objective of the Coordinated Research Project (CRP) on “Development of Nuclear Security Culture Enhancement Solutions (NSCES)” is to develop practical and effective solutions to enhance nuclear security culture within operating organizations of nuclear and other radioactive material, as well as associated facilities and activities under regulatory control. Through this NSCES, the IAEA will accelerate its support for the enhancement of nuclear security culture of Member States. A secondary objective is to create an environment for the sharing and transfer of knowledge and experience, and to provide guidance on, and practical examples of good practice in enhancing nuclear security culture. The shared outcome will be utilized to further improve and address challenges to nuclear security culture.
The IAEA Member States and the Secretariat have recognized the importance of an effective nuclear security culture, as it is critical to ensure the robust security regime of nuclear/radioactive material and associated facilities and activities including transport. However, the methods and approaches are not well developed nor clearly understood. There is a strong need to develop and provide Member States with practical tools and approaches to apply the nuclear security culture concept to their activities and address challenges to nuclear security culture.
Activities under this CRP: 4 Working Groups (WGs)
- Self-assessment Methodology WG: Develop and improve self-assessment methodologies in practice and study the impact of self-assessment on the overall nuclear security culture.
- Tailored Approach Development & Implementation WG: Develop tailored enhancement programmes for each type of nuclear organizations (nuclear power plants, nuclear research reactors, hospitals, etc.)
- Training and Education Programme Development WG: Develop programmes for capacity building for each function of nuclear security (management, security personnel, general staff, etc.)
- Case Study Development WG: Develop the database for nuclear security culture related cases
The output of the CRP will include:
- Self-assessment methodologies and tools (including software).
- Tailored approach programs, methods and guidance for the enhancement of nuclear security culture on different types of nuclear activities/organizations (including report or technical document)
- Nuclear security culture enhancement programmes for various responsibilities within an organization (including report or technical document)
- Case study database for security culture
Participation in this CRP and Duration of the Activity:
This CRP is open to institutes/professionals from Member States that will undertake technical activities aimed at enhancing security culture of nuclear and other radioactive material, as well as associated facilities and transport.
The CRP will be initiated in 2015 and expected to be completed in 2018.